Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tasting Trials, Tribulations and Triumphs

I am bound and determined to cook something irresistible with essential oils.  Not just a recipe from someone else, but my very own recipe.  Here are some of my concoctions:
Invisible Gelatin: 
(I don’t recommend this one, it was okay, but not something I would look forward to eating even though I like the idea of it.  If you can figure out how to do it right, I’d love to know how you did it!)  
2 packages unflavored gelatin
⅓ cup agave nectar
A few drops of lemon, lime, wild orange or grapefruit essential oil (not too much, but enough)
1 tablespoon juice (lemon, orange, lime or grapefruit)
1 cup cold water
1 ½ cups boiling water
Sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let sit for a few minutes, until it dissolves.  Add boiling water, juice and agave.  Stir until blended.  Add essential oil, stir again and taste.
Salsa: 
(This was good, but was missing something.  I don’t think I added enough salt.  Let me know if you perfect it) 4-8 servings
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 cups chopped fresh ripe tomato
Dash of garlic powder or clove of fresh crushed garlic
1 jalapeno, grated or chopped fine
½ - 1 fresh banana pepper (pickled may work)
1-2 drops lime essential oil
1-2 drops cilantro oil
Salt to taste
Mix together.  Adjust amount of oil, peppers and salt to your taste.
Candy Cane “Tea”: 
(This is especially good when you don’t feel well**) 1 serving
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup hot (or boiling) water
1 drop peppermint essential oil
Put honey and water in a cup and stir until honey is incorporated.  Add oil.  If this is too strong, add a bit more water.  (It feels great to breathe the steam into sore or clogged lungs before drinking.  It also makes my face feel good.**)
Rosemary Olive Butter: 
(This is really good on bread, a little goes a long way.  I want to try it on chicken next, I’ll let you know how it goes):  8 servings
4 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons lightly salted butter
1 drop of rosemary essential oil
Cream together and enjoy!
Tart Sweet Fruit Dip:
(You can adjust the sweetness by adjusting the amount of agave.  A smaller amount of honey may be substituted)
1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 drops lime oil
Mix together and serve with sliced fresh fruit, or try as a dressing for fruit salad.
I hope you enjoy playing with your food, whether it is with my recipes, your own, or some of the delicious looking ones that I found on a website called “Cooking Essentially”.  You can also find holiday inspired recipes in doTERRA’s holiday brochure.
Shalom,
Aimee

1 comment:

  1. I've found theres mire taste & you dint have to use as much essential oil if you add them when the cooking process is complete. Never boil your oil! The black pepper goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete